Chinese New Year
Chinese New Year celebrations start this upcoming Saturday, January 28, 2017. The Lantern Festival marks the last day of traditional Chinese New Year celebrations. My six-year-old nanny kid and I made several simple and colorful paper lanterns to adorn her room in preparation for Chinese New Year. Here is how to make this simple craft:
Colorful Card Stock or Construction Paper
What to Do:
1. Use a ruler to mark one-inch line to cut of strip of paper on the short side of the paper to make a handle.
2. Fold remaining paper in half lengthwise.
3. Use ruler and pencil to make a light line one-inch from open edges of paper to use as a stop line for kids to stop cutting paper.
4. On folded side of paper make little dots one- inch apart to show kids where to start cutting.
5. Have child cut lines from the dots on folded side of paper until the stop line.
6. Unfold the paper. Roll paper into a tube allowing paper edges to overlap a little and staple each end together.
7. Staple handles to top of lantern.
Project from All of You magazine February 20, 2015
Photo by Stephanie Felzenberg