No day at the beach is complete before taking a walk at low tide to gather shells, sea glass, drift wood, and smooth pebbles with the kids. After arriving home from a day at the shore, help the kids create a photo frame of the treasures they gathered seaside. We simply cut out a photo frame from cardboard of a cereal box, then glued my little-one’s favorite special catches of the day to make a souvenir of her day spent next to the ocean.
1. Cheap flat photo frame in sand color (or cardboard and sharp scissors or razor blade)
2. Treasures from seashore such as shells, sea glass, drift wood, and pebbles (don’t forget the beach badge)
3. White glue
4. Paint brush
5. Disposable cup
6. Plastic bag
What to Do:
1. If you cannot purchase an inexpensive, flat photo frame from the store, cut out a photo frame from cardboard you can find in the family recycling bin. To make a homemade frame, trace a square on the cardboard. Then trace the same shape on the cardboard again to make to squares touching that will make a rectangle. The line connecting the two squares will bend to make the photo frame stand once the project is complete.
2. Cut out the rectangle with a sharp scissor or razor blade. Then cut out a hole from the front square of the photo frame so you can glue a photo to the back of it when the project is complete. Leave at least one-inch border around the photo frame since you need space to glue shells and sea glass tot he frame. I used a sharp scissor to cut out the inside hole of the frame to slip the photo into the frame.
3. Place a piece of plastic or a plastic bag under the store bought frame, or homemade frame, so that if any glue drips the frame won’t stick to the work surface.
4. Pour plenty of white glue into a disposable cup. Help the kids use paint brushes to slather on heaps of glue onto the frame and shells when pasting the sea side treasures to the frame. The glue will dry clear so use enough to keep the seashore prizes secure.
5. Let the frame dry for a day. After it is completely dry slide in a photo of the child from the day spent at the beach. Simply paste the photo to the frame if using a homemade frame.
Projects and photos by Stephanie Felzenberg