One of my favorite gifts ever included in a swag bag at a nanny conference was
The Rainbow Bakery Cookbook. Ever since I first got the cookbook I’ve made Turtle Bread with all of my nanny kids. They love helping measuring the ingredients, kneading the dough, and eating the delicious turtle-shaped bread they helped to make.
You Will Need:
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package of quick-acting active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of margarine or butter
- 1 egg
- 2 raisins
What to Do:
1. Mix 1-1/2 cups of flour, the yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
2. Heat water, milk, and margarine to 125 degrees to 130 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir into yeast mixture. Stir in egg. Stir in enough remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle.
3. Sprinkle a surface lightly with flour. Turn the dough into the surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
4. Lightly grease a cookie sheet. Shape a 2-inch piece of dough into a ball for the head. Shape 4 walnut-size pieces of dough into balls for feet. Shape 1 walnut-size piece of dough into a tail. Shape remaining dough into a ball for the body; place on a cookie sheet and flatten slightly. Attach head, feet, and tail by placing 1 end of each under edge of body to secure. Press raisins into the head for eyes. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
5. Heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Make crisscross cuts in the body, 1/4 inch deep, to look like a turtle’s shell. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
You can purchase your own copy of the cookbook by clicking links below: