Who doesn’t love butterflies? This is one of the easiest projects you can make with kids. The five-year-old I care for just loves making butterflies out of coffee filters. Plus, it is fascinating to learn how a worm-like caterpillar turn into a delicate creature with wings. Be sure to check out the link provided below and the children’s books on butterflies listed below to learn more about butterflies.
You Will Need:
Large Coffee Filter
Spray Bottle of Water
Pipe Cleaner or Chenille Stick
What to Do:
1. Have the kids color the coffee filter with markers.
2. Spray the coffee filter with water. Let dry for at least two hours.
3. Pinch the middle of the coffee filter and clip with a clothes pin.
4. Fold a pipe cleaner in half or cut a piece of chenille stem about 2-inches long and fold it in half. Secure it with the clothes pin to create antenna.
5. Spread the wings and let the kids play with the butterfly or hang it for decoration in their bedrooms.
After making the butterfly be sure to teach kids about butterflies. Be sure to read the children’s books about butterflies we have listed below.