Hopefully all you have left to do now before Christmas is to relax and have fun with your charges. Here’s an easy craft you can do to have some fun and fill up some time before Christmas vacation.
We made the gingerbread house in the photo with a kit. The kit has the cookies already baked and in the shapes needed to make the house. The kit also includes icing, candies, and coconut to use to decorate the house.
But, if you want to make a real gingerbread house from scratch here are the directions from simplyrecipes.com.
You Will Need:
6 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 teaspoons ground ginger
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves or allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 Tbsp) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup dark molasses
1 Tbsp water
Make the Gingerbread Dough
1. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl, set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the butter and brown sugar until fluffy and well blended. Beat in the eggs, molasses and water until well combined.
3. Beat half of the flour mixture into the molasses mixture until well blended and smooth. Stir in the remaining flour. Knead (or use your mixer’s dough hook) until well blended. If dough is too soft, add a little more flour.
4. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two hours, preferably overnight. You can make it up to 3 days ahead of time. Let sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes before rolling out.
To see the rest of the directions, including how to decorate the gingerbread house visit simplyrecipes.com
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Press the mixture into Christmas-shaped cookie cutters.
3. Poke a hole in the top with a drinking straw or a pencil.
4. Let dry overnight.
5. Remove from cookie cutters and string a loop of yarn or ribbon through the hole to hang.
Use “open” cookie cutters – the ones that just outline the shape. This will allow the shapes to pop out. These look icy and sparkly on the Christmas tree.